Sunday, January 13, 2013

Parfait Tunic

Parfait Tunic started from finding a couple of interesting lace patterns in a pattern enclyclopedia. I had been wanting to knit something suitable for spring and summer, somewhat dressy but very comfortable.  I did quite a bit of swatching for this design as I wanted the lace patterns to blend into each other where they met, in other words , not have strong "lines" where one pattern ended and the other started.  I started with the lower border pattern and the body pattern then realized it would look great to add a simple eyelet for the yoke.  This gives a nice balance to the tunic and also is super simple to work the yoke decreases!  

This layering of patterns reminded me of a parfait dessert, the word in French means perfect....Either reference will work just fine.   To accomplish the organic flow that I was looking for, the stitch patterns had to be modified.  Writing up the pattern for the size I made was quite simple.  I just wrote down what I did as I knit it.  The challenge occurred when I tried to write up the directions for the pattern in smaller and larger sizes.  The pattern repeats didn't always work out just right.   In the end though, I got it figured out.   Although it did take me a while to perfect the pattern, no pun intended!

I took the tunic with me to France in 2011.  The photos were taken at Tillac in the south west part of France, department Gers.  It was a cool and comfortable top to wear. It was knit in a sport weight cotton called Shine Sport from KnitPicks. It is 60% Pima Cotton and 40% Modal, which is a natural beechwood fiber and gives great shine, drape and silkiness.
The pattern can be purchased through my Ravelry account.


No comments:

Post a Comment