Saturday, November 14, 2009

Arrowhead Sweater a la Knitting out of Africa

Surprises when working with Color
- I was expecting the turquoise to "read" as the dominant color in the border pattern, it is a bit brighter than it appears in the photo but was surprised that the bark brown is the one which "pops"..The idea was to have the triangles pointing up to the body of the sweater so after the third row of brown triangles was complete I reversed the pattern creating a center row of brown diamonds followed by 2 rows of brown triangles pointing up! Now for a couple of rows of color to make a transition and then begin the arrowhead design for the main body of the sweater.

September 13- I returned from a lovely trip to Seattle, Washington and our son's beautiful wedding to a large box of yarn on my doorstep! My Palette yarn from Knitpicks had arrived! I began my "African Quilt Sweater" right away. Here is a photo of the yarn and the books that inspired this idea. I'm using 2 colors of turquoise (Cyan and Whirlpool) and a dark warm brown( Bark) to complement. after the lower border which is about half done, I plan to continue the body of the sweater in the arrowhead pattern to the yoke. The joining row will be another band of the small triangles and then continue the yoke to the neckline in the zigzag pattern. As I swatched for this sweater I decided to add the darker, brighter turquoise to the color scheme to accent the different sections of the sweater.
Holiday Knitting is upon me, Oct. 25, 2009

I'm up to the shoulders on my Arrowhead sweater and quite pleased with the effect. Here's a shot. I decided to repeat the small triangles for the top 5 inches as a shoulder accent. We'll see how the sleeves develop.
I suddenly realized that it's the middle of October and if I'm going to do some knitting for the holidays I better get on it! So this little project will rest for a bit while change gears. I found a beautiful natural Alpaca in a small but lovely shop in Lafayette, CA called the Yarn Boutique. It said
"cardigan for Jack" all over it! It's 100% superfine Alpaca called Peruvian Tweed imported by Joseph Galler inc. It is t shades of brown, both warm and is the natual color of the animals from which it came. Not dyed at all. It's plyed together and bound with a lighter shade of brown. Gorgeous and very, very soft. I've designed a cardigan with a 1 stitch k2, p2 front border and flanking that a small 6 stitch cable , twisted very 5 rows. It gives a bit of an accent to the front and also some additional stability. I'm working buttonholes every 3 inches. I also have some smaller projects planned as gifts so.......

No comments:

Post a Comment