Saturday, November 14, 2009

A new beginning

As I said, I wear many hats...but this blog which started out as one for our entertainment business has morphed. What I really want to write about is knitting! I've been designing knit wear for years but have never written anything down. Too lazy, I guess. I've been asked for patterns and decided that maybe I just better get on with it! I have been knitting since I was around 5 years old and have always enjoyed working with fiber, texture and color. I stood by my Mother's and Grandmother's side until they gave in and gave me my own needles and ball of yarn. I've done a lot of sewing in my life as well , have never quite liked the patterns available and so out of necessity or just plain stubbonness have done quite a bit of designing in various media. I had my own hand woven clothing business for 10 years and often used knitting techniques for finishing. Now, I'm back to hand knitting; what a delight!
I was introduced several years ago to Elizabeth Zimmerman and also her protegee Jacqueline Fee. What a freeing experience. I've been experimenting with this technique ever since.
My first project using the "percentage" method was an Aran Style sweater for my husband. The fishtrap pattern is from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitters Almanac. What a wonderful little book. If you don't have a copy, hurry and get one! Here's a photo
.
I "cardiganized" it by adding steek stitches to the center front and knitting in the round. He wanted a zipper instead of buttons so voila! The collar is a mock turtle and zips to the top.
I found that to get started on the fishtrap pattern it was very helpful to copy the chart in the book and put a large "post it" under the row that I was working, when the row was finished the post it was moved up. On complicated patterns , it's easy to lose your place.

No comments:

Post a Comment